You might have noticed it on Google Search that whenever you type something there will be some website on the first place in the search results page. Take a look at this keyword, “Three Bedroom Apartment in Bangalore” for finding the best three bedroom apartment in Bangalore. And when you click enter, you get many results but out of thousands of results being shown to you, you will not go beyond the first page and you will not check more than first five results out of ten results in the first page. As a matter of facts, the first five organic search results on the first page of GOOGLE get 75% of clicks.
That mean the – Five results you clicked have optimized their website so well that it ranked high in the GOOGLE that is, they have used the right “KEYWORDS” for their website. By best SEO practices, can bring you more qualified traffic which means more profits.
When we talk about the SEO, “Keyword or Key Phrases” plays an important role in it. Before we get into the needed 10 steps to rank higher in Google, you must understand the difference between the paid and organic search.
Organic Vs. Paid Search:
You can bring more people I numerous ways, but one of the most commonly and widely used method is Organic Search and Paid Search. Paid search results are the results displayed on top of the organic search results in Google, Yahoo, Bing and other popular search engines. Paid search results in other words is the advertisements that are displayed in the sponsored areas [currently Google shows its Paid results on the top of the SERP (Search Engine Results Page) and at the bottom of the SERP] Unlike Paid search results, Organic search results are the free and also depends on your content quality, relevancy and how closely the search keywords or key Phrases are matched to your web pages.
In this post you will learn how you can optimize and rank higher in GOOGLE in 10 steps, let’s begin;
By best SEO practices, can bring you more qualified traffic which means more profits.
Image Credit: Canva
Keywords are nothing but a certain set of words that someone typed in the Google search box to find your business or blog. The keywords act as a shortcut to your entire blog post or a webpage and bring visitors when it matches an appropriate search query. You will have to do lot of research to find out the best keyword that potential people who are using to search for your business or blog and then produce the content that targets your selected potential keyword. You can use the free keyword tool called Google Keyword Tool or can use other paid keyword tools like SEMRush.
Suppose if you write content on “Real Estate” then that the page should contain certain exact phrase naturally couple of times in the body of the content but it doesn’t mean that you must stuff the keywords in your content. Google is against the Keyword Spammers.
To understand more about keywords read the following blog posts;
- Employing Keyword Research Techniques and Tools.
- Selecting Keywords.
- Exploiting Pay Per Click Lessons Learned.
- Assigning Keywords to Pages.
- Adding and Maintaining Keywords.
- Title Tag:
The title tag helps the people who visit your blog or webpage to understand what the page is all about without even reading the whole content. The title tag can be seen in two prominent places, that is, in the browser’s title bar and in the listing in the SERP. If you write an article which targets certain specific category of audience, it must be included in the title for instance, “Digital Marketing Training and development academy in Bangalore.” It is advisable to have unique title for each page or the post and restrict it to maximum of 65 character size including the spaces.
- Meta Description Tag:
This is equally important to make people click and visit your blog or website. The Meta description tag is displayed below your websites link in the SERP (Search Engine Results Page); the description should be able to make people click on it and should include at least two main keywords which you want to target that blog post or the web page. Similar to the Title Tag, the Meta Description Tag should be unique and it must not exceed more than 155 character limit including the spaces and also it is not recommended to have alpha – numeric characters in the description.
“By best SEO practices, can bring you more qualified traffic which means more profits.”
4. Header Tag ( H1 tag):
The header tag is the title of your blog post or article. It is simply the title of your blog post. The header tag in this article is “10 steps to rank high in Google.”The H1 tag cannot be repeated multiple times in your blog post, it should be used only once in the blog post. The title tells people what they are reading; the H1 tag is just like a chapter name in a book. It should entice the people to read and it must include your main target keyword in the title.
5. The content of your blog post:
The content must also be optimized, that is, the content must contain the target keywords naturally. Adding keywords in the content must be practiced to attain maximum optimization for the search engines. Many ProBlogger have said to write at least 2000 words, because the longer the blog post is, easier to optimize for the search engines.
Try not to deviate from the subject matter of the content, that is; if you are talking about the scientist Isaac Newton, the content should only deal with Isaac Newton. You cannot write about Einstein when you put the title as History of Isaac Newton, this is something misguiding the readers and Google doesn’t like that. So, try and focus on the subject matter of the content that you intended to show it to your readers. And above all, make sure that your content is original material.
6. Nail Down on your blog navigation:
Good navigation design for your blog will improve the reader experience. That is, if your blog has a bad navigation design, it makes your audience frustrate who want to read a certain blog post by navigating your blog articles and if they don’t able to find it with few clicks, they will not return to your blog ever. A good navigation design must be like a web store and the articles in it should be like products. Use these suggested items on your blog for the better reading and navigation experience for your readers;
Search Engine Optimization is the key to climb top of GOOGLE.
Image Credit: Canva
- Use popular posts or recent post list.
- Place Related posts at the end of every blog post.
- Categorize your articles and place it on the sidebar.
- And lastly use Search Box in the sidebar.
7. Site Architecture:
The sitemap is important for any blogs, it not only useful to optimize the blog for the search engines but for the users who visit your blog. In general, it is a map or directory for all your web pages and blog articles.
It helps the search engines to navigate throughout your blog with the names and its locations and it is same with the users who visit your blog. For search engine point of view, it helps them to speed up the indexing of all your web pages and posts and brings more traffic to your blog. In sitemap, there are two types;
- HTML sitemap and
- XML sitemap
An HTML sitemap is generally linked and placed at the footer of your blogs where it helps the users to navigate your blog easily with few clicks. And an XML sitemap is exclusively for the search engines and it needs certain codes and protocols. Every blog should have one sitemap and the XML sitemap must be included in the Google webmasters tools account or simply the search console.
To create a sitemap in your blog, there are many plugins, they are;
- Yoast SEO pack, it has both free version and paid up version but both works for you. This plugin works in both WORDPRESS BLOGS and as well as in DRUPAL BLOGS. You can download the plugin by clicking the link above or
- All in one SEO pack is also equally popular plugins for the SEO and sitemap purposes, just like Yoast SEO Pack. This plugin also comes in Free version and as well as paid up version. You can download this plugin by clicking the link above or ( All in one SEO pack has affiliate program)
- This plugin is a dedicated sitemap plugin for the sitemap. This plugin has over a million downloads since five years. This plugin is trusted by many because of its stable and mature sitemap generation. You can download the GOOGLE SITEMAP PLUGIN here.
Sitemap Plugins is not just for WordPress blog users but for the Joomla blog users too.
- You can learn more about the best plugins for your WordPress blogs here. ( Source: https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/resources/the-7-best-wordpress-sitemap-plugins-for-busy-site-owners )
8. Optimize your image:
Say you are a blogger( just kidding) and you write a blog article focusing on “How to blog” you might be in dilemma that whether you should use image or not. I would say you should use images for better optimization of your blog post. “A picture can talk 1000 words” but those words Google will not be able to listen (Google becomes unresponsive when it comes across an image) but definitely it will boost your 1000 dull words on your blog post.
But you may ask then how does it help in SEO when Google doesn’t respond to the images in the blog post. It’s simple; you should follow three steps to do it.
- Your image should have your target keyword file name, that is, if you are article has an image about “How to blog, then the file name should be like this how-to-blog.jpg. It is advisable to use all lower case and separate it with a hyphen when creating a file name.
- Be sure to add alt text to the images and make sure that the alt text includes your target keyword of your content. We use alt text to an image because Google cannot read images in your article. Google search engine depends on the alt text to read the images. So the alt text for the image on “How to blog” should be: “How to blog.” Simple as that.
- While posting your image on your blog, make sure it accompanies it with a caption. Because for some reason, if your image doesn’t load up in your article when someone visits your blog, the caption helps the reader to understand what the image is about.
- You may be interested in learning more on how to optimize the images for SEO purposes.( Sources: https://yoast.com/image-seo/ )
The Final Thoughts:
SEO is essential and has a great impact for any business or for the blogging business to become successful. You cannot always spend money to get traffic by using the paid results; you will lose lot of money. This article consist just the basics to kick start your SEO journey but there is lot to it. Just fine tune your SEO skills by doing lot of research on optimization of web pages and consistently write articles and of course you need to monitor your sites performance using GOOGLE SEARCH CONSOLE. See you in another blog post on SEO but meanwhile, if you find any other SEO tips and tricks feel free to post it in the comment section.